Overclocking

Go down

Overclocking

Post  ExoticWhiteMan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:04 pm

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t261409.html

Once again, I'm straying from the purpose of this forum to post on something I think is really cool. This is a link to a tutorial on overclocking. It's long, complicated, and difficult to understand, despite the author claiming it's for noobs. Basically, smart overclocking involves optimizing how much you push your processor, the voltage you put into it, and how hot you allow it to get. I'm using folding@home, which uses your cpu for scientific work, so I investigated into overclocking. This tutorial seems to cover all the bases, but getting a stable system with high processing power is a pretty extensive process. I though it might be worth a read to see how feasible it would be. For now, though, I think I'll just try out another idea I found: NVidia released a program that allows you to safely overclock your gpu (processor on your video card). It even tests your gpu temp to detemine the optimal overclock level for you. Unfortunately, as you can read from the link above, overclocking a cpu (and doing it well) is a much bigger pain in the ass.

Today, I'll try to get my gpu and cpu working with folding@home, although the gpu is harder to get working, due to driver issues. I found a possible solution online today, so maybe I can get it to work. There's more about folding@home and other stuff I could discuss, but for now I won't go further, unless you guys don't mind me using this energy section for some confusing, nerdy topics :-).

Last edited by scotttttttie on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well, maybe not

Post  ExoticWhiteMan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Yeah, I'll probably just use nvidia's ntune to overclock my gpu a little, but overclocking the cpu sounds really really really tedious and dangerous.
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum