Political Boneyard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I though the Chinese were smart

3 posters

Go down

I though the Chinese were smart Empty I though the Chinese were smart

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 am

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/28/microsoft-hacking-computers-in-china/

Everyone knows China is a hub for pirated software. About 80% of their computers have a stolen copy of Windows. And, they use Windows Update, so Microsoft launched an update for XP that turns the desktop background black and shows a little warning that their software is ingenuine. The computer isn't otherwise affected, though, so this really amounts to nothing when it comes to functionality. China's attorney general subsequently suggested fining Microsoft $1 BILLION for 'hacking' into people's private computers.

So, essentially, Microsoft is poking fun at China's pirates, and the country's tech community is freaking out. Some good comments I read: "Whaaaaa, my illegal software doesn’t work properly! Whaaaaa!!!" and "Only in china can you be a thief and then decry the shop owner for trying to protect their property." China's excuse for permitting this piracy is that Windows XP costs $300-some, and the general population can't afford it. Well, China, you have a government full of fucking morons, because there's something called LINUX AND IT'S FREE YOU BASTARDS. Linux isn't such a horrible alternative, and considering you can get a legit OS (Linux) and work suite (Open Office) off the web FOR FREE, why the hell are these guys stealing an entire operation system from a technology giant?

The answer? They know they can get away with it, just like everyone gets away with stealing games, movies, music, and tv shows. Suing Microsoft for 'hacking?' I'm surprised all Microsoft did was turn their background black. I would have completely wrecked any illegal system trying to use Windows Update and given them a permanent blue screen of death. There's no excuse for stealing a whole OS when you can easily get a free one. This is like a car thief bitching that the car he stole has an anti-theft system. It might be cool to play with software you can't afford, and it might be easy to get away with it, but there is no reason to protest when the company stops you from using it. Hell, imagine if Microsoft were like the RIAA and actually sought punitive damages. China would probably threaten us with nuclear missiles. In a way, the Chinese are more spoiled than us in America. They have no one chasing them for pirating, and when they get caught, they get a slap on the wrist. If only the RIAA were as nice as Microsoft....
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

I though the Chinese were smart Empty Re: I though the Chinese were smart

Post  Church1ll Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 pm

I'll have to say I got a good laugh from that.

Yea I don't really understand how China can be upset at Microsoft for telling them to pay for their software that they made and sell. I'm even more surprised they don't know about Linux.

Of course, most Chinese pirating this stuff are probably pirating it just because it's there to pirate, and because no one can afford it the pirates assume it must be much better than anything that's free (if they even know about Linux to begin with).
Church1ll
Church1ll
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:50 pm

yea this reminds me of the story where a robber falls through the roof of his victim and then sues for a faulty foundation.

ITS LUDICROUS!
Gustavus_Adolfus
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum