Public Questions on NJ's public ballot

Go down

Public Questions on NJ's public ballot

Post  ExoticWhiteMan on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:32 am

I've gotten that big piece of paper awhile ago, and tried in vain to understand the 2 public questions.

http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/2008results/08generalelection/08-pq1-state-appropriations.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/2008results/08generalelection/08-pq2-method-selection.pdf

These pages were somewhat helpful, because they show both the question (in large, not small friggin print) and an interpretive statement to help understand it. I'm not entire sure of what would be a smart decision, but it seems that question one would best be voted "yes." From what the question said, it seems like a good idea, because voters would have to approve for the state to acquire debt that way, although I don't have any idea of any nonobvious implications. (Any ideas, Aaron?) As for the second question, "no" is my gut feeling. Essentially, the appointment of a certain type of judge would be changed, from requiring the consent of the governor and senate, to something else that wasn't specified. I'm almost expecting that the new appointment process would be something corrupt, so I'd rather leave the current appointment requirements in place. Again, not knowing much about how it works besides what the question told me makes these questions really friggin' confusing. Any thoughts?
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Public Questions on NJ's public ballot

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 pm

yea, well as for the 1st one....from what i read on the tiny print on my absentee ballot i essentially viewed it as a way for New Jersey to get more debt. Because by issuing bonds (which are literally IOU's) our state gov will only prolong the inevitable and dig a deeper pit of debt.

as for #2, my dad (a lawyer) nearly had a heart attack when I told him about it. He said that judges should be kept as appointments because if they get elected they will have to owe favors and shit...not to say they don't owe favors to the governors who appointed them.....but at least its a state official and not masses of people....I guess.
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Church1ll on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:13 pm

I responded no to both for reasons Aaron just mentioned above. The state seriously cannot get in debt faster than it already is. It needs to be slowed or stopped before its too late, and passing that would seriously screw the taxpayers. As for the second one, the system currently in place works fine for what it is.
Church1ll
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down