"New Civil Rights Movement?"

Go down

"New Civil Rights Movement?"

Post  Church1ll on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:53 pm

I've been hearing this phrase more often since Obama was elected and it is seriously wearing my nerves thin:

"Obama being elected proves the new civil rights movement worked." (paraphrased)

If anyone can clarify what on earth that is supposed to mean it would be greatly appreciated, but here is how I am interpreting it and it will be difficult to word so bear with me.

For a lot of blacks (I refuse to say "African-American" because that implies everyone black comes from Africa which is not true), Obama acted as a sort of symbol for the change in times. Many who lived through the Civil Rights Movement would have never dreamed of a black man running for president, let alone win. Those people are correct in assuming the times really have changed for the better, as are anyone in the right mindset that Obama represents that change.

Now here's where I'm going to go on a bit of a rant about the absolute stupidity of the phrase mentioned above. First off, when was there a "new" Civil Rights Movement? I read the news in the papers as well as on several news websites and never came across anything mentioning a new Civil Rights Movement until after Obama was elected. Suddenly practically every black leader in the country is claiming victory for the new movement. Did I miss something here? Second, anyone who claims a vote against Obama makes you a racist is proclaiming "I do not want a Democratic voting system where anyone can vote for who they want. Because of this I want to live in a world where our leaders are picked for us, and as such do not wish to be represented." That sounds a bit harsh, but in all honesty that is what it means. Never before has an election been so politically charged, and by that I mean there were so many people afraid to vote for who they wanted to out of fear of being labeled a racist. I was asked on election day who I voted for by a group of black kids. I said McCain, because I didn't think the country was ready to undergo the large amount of change Obama was advertising. Immediately this group called me a racist multiple times. Out of anger I shot back saying they must be terrorists for not believing in the right to vote. That shut them up, but it also made me realize that this election would have done far better if people did not see the candidates as the black guy and the white guy. I think I've mentioned that story before in a previous post, but it also applies here.

People clearly aren't educated enough when they believe Obama's victory symbolizes the success of the "New Civil Rights Movement," because there is nothing left for blacks, or really anyone non-white male for that matter, to fight for. Sure there was the "glass ceiling" but you know, that doesn't actually exist. The reason you don't get higher in rank is because you don't deserve it yet, not because you're "the black guy" or "the woman" or whatever other excuse you can come up with for your own shortcomings. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority of the time, like say 95%, you won't just be given a higher rank because you haven't earned it. There are countless laws stating it is illegal to do any harm, be it physical or mental, to someone of a different race and these are the "race laws" of our country. However, people really only cry foul when it's the white guy attacking anyone else. There is also affirmative action, which is seriously the biggest load of bullshit ever. There's also the "gender laws" which are basically the race laws but literally only apply to treatment of women. So what exactly is this "New Civil Rights Movement?" If Obama lost would anyone have even said anything about a "new" Civil Rights Movement? If Clinton won instead of Obama, would people have cried out sexism instead of racism throughout the election? And because people have been saying she lost to Obama due to sexism, would racism be the reason if Obama lost to her?

People need to realize something fast: we are all human beings. That's it. There is no "white" race. There is no "black" race. There is the human race. Men and women are equally important. Cut the crap already. If there were no men there would still be no people left on earth because women wouldn't be able to conceive, just as if there were no women there would be no people because there would be no way to reproduce. We all exist on this earth as human beings and we all need each other. Stereotypes exist because people allow them to exist. Don't want to be considered a thug? Don't dress and act like one. Don't want to be considered weak? Don't act weak. Don't want to be considered stupid? Get an education. It's that simple. There are no excuses. If you live in the ghetto, get out. There was no "new" Civil Rights Movement. There was a guy who ran for president and won. That's it.
Church1ll
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "New Civil Rights Movement?"

Post  PokerFace on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:07 pm

First off, when was there a "new" Civil Rights Movement? I read the news in the papers as well as on several news websites and never came across anything mentioning a new Civil Rights Movement until after Obama was elected. Suddenly practically every black leader in the country is claiming victory for the new movement. Did I miss something here? Second, anyone who claims a vote against Obama makes you a racist is proclaiming "I do not want a Democratic voting system where anyone can vote for who they want. Because of this I want to live in a world where our leaders are picked for us, and as such do not wish to be represented." That sounds a bit harsh, but in all honesty that is what it means. Never before has an election been so politically charged, and by that I mean there were so many people afraid to vote for who they wanted to out of fear of being labeled a racist. . . If Clinton won instead of Obama, would people have cried out sexism instead of racism throughout the election? And because people have been saying she lost to Obama due to sexism, would racism be the reason if Obama lost to her?. . . There was no "new" Civil Rights Movement. There was a guy who ran for president and won. That's it.

I just thought that I would comment about this as well, because this is something that has occurred in my mind multiple times. I thought that this was well said. I guess you could say that it is probably being viewed as the "New" Civil Rights Movement on the grounds that this is something that hadn't happened before. I think it's more of a unity thing, because I noticed that during his campaign he focused a lot on togetherness and all that jazz. (I think my original post is under the Media Influence section.) I think it's just come to be viewed as because a lot of people were involved in the campaigning and the voting that it came to be viewed as a "movement." I'm not really trying to validate or justify their opinion, only to say that this is my theory as to where the term originated.

Don't want to be considered a thug? Don't dress and act like one. Don't want to be considered weak? Don't act weak. Don't want to be considered stupid? Get an education. It's that simple. There are no excuses. If you live in the ghetto, get out.

This is actually something I agreed with, although in another post elsewhere on the forum I talked about racism. It's probably a completely different thing, but what about people that are ignorant and make cracks at people on absolutely no legitimate grounds? No Not quite sure what needs to happen as a result, but those people...eesh.

PokerFace
Admin

View user profile http://ssaddiction.proboards101.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:29 pm

I agree there was no "New" Civil Rights Movement. However this is proof that the Civil Rights Movement was a success down the road...technically a victory.
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Church1ll on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:50 am

I probably should have worded it better, but what I was trying to get across are that people can't just claim that a "new" Civil Rights Movement occurred when it was more of proof that the Civil Rights Movement worked...so Aaron you're essentially right there.

Yea, I definitely should have put something about the morons in this country that like to claim their race is the dominant one. I actually had one in there before but couldn't quite word it right without sounding retarded. For those people, they need to either get with the times or crawl back in their caves and never come out. We're all equal here.
Church1ll
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down