Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) could hammer piracy

Go down

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) could hammer piracy

Post  ExoticWhiteMan on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:10 pm

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/03/secret-copyright-tre.html

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4510/125/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

Yes, I used Wikipedia, but bear with me. The first article spells out the details the fastest and is pretty much a summary of what's going on. If you google the ACTA, you'll find a ton of other articles, too.

A new treaty, pretty much the new DMCA, is being negotiated by a ton of countries. It's been in the works for a few years and it's in the sixth round of negotations. The provisions that the articles explain are only proposed provisions. Since the final draft doesn't exist yet (supposedly), these are only leaks of what countries are suggesting for the treaty. The biggest impact of this treaty is how it will change file sharing and user content laws. People who hold copyrights to media (RIAA et al) will be given more power over ISP's. It's possible that ISP's would be required to actively police their services to stop infringers or face liability.

Right now, the rights holders have to take some sort of legal action or send a stop-it-you-bastard letter to infringers before they can take any action. ISP's were the middle man and weren't held responsible for anything that their subscribers did, such as pirating a lot of stuff. The only route for the RIAA was to take the infringer to court. With this treaty, it could be possible that the RIAA can go straight to the ISP, tell them such-and-such IP address is infringing, and have that subscriber cut off without any due process.

The RIAA is pretty infamous for hammering ordinary people with lawsuits and threats and extorting thousands of dollars from them. This treaty would give the RIAA a quicker, easier way to take action against alleged infringers, without proving that people are actually infringing. They'll say, "If you don't pirate, you have nothing to worry about," but they have a history of targeting some innocent, sometimes even dead people as well. This treaty counts on the RIAA being honest in wanting to stop infringers, but it will open the floodgate for abuse by the assholes in that organization. In places where there's only one or two internet providers, or only one is even worth bothering with (comcast), this is gonna cause problems for people who need to access services and information online.

Another fun feature of this treaty is that ISP's will have to ACTIVELY police user contributed content, aka Youtube and Facebook. Although this provision will probably be nixed because it's so idiotic, I imagine the RIAA will be at least given more power over these sites to take down material or else.

OK, so, guess what? This treaty cannot be shown to the public in all the participating countries until the final draft, when it's pretty much guaranteed to be signed. It's a matter of national security. People in Obama's (aka the One's) office said so. Yup. Knowing how the provisions are shaping up is dangerous for everyone to know (sarcasm).
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) could hammer piracy

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:46 am

I don't know what to think cuz i am a pirate (as is most people). But we all understand that we are 'stealing'. No matter how you try to justify it we are stealing shit and must be aware of the consequences.

Especially in China where they are copying Microsoft Office software and selling it, highly illegal but not different from music etc.

I don't like big government, but I this is not something to fuss about. Especially considering the Patriot Act is in effect.
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Church1ll on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:02 am

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Piracy IS stealing so there really isn't any way around that.

However, this proposed treaty is rather disturbing as it allows the gov to essentially cut off your internet access without even trying you. In other words, you are guilty regardless of whether or not you are innocent. It may be a step in the right direction to stop piracy, but it is also a pimp slap to the face of freedom.

But yea, the Patriot Act is still in effect and that is essentially the same thing, but with your freedom in general. I know I'm going in circles here, but these acts and treaties are seriously screwing everyone over in an attempt to stop piracy (proposed treaty) and terrorism (Patriot Act).
Church1ll
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:09 pm

"The man willing to sacrifice freedom for security deserves NEITHER!!!!"
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down