Political Boneyard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Obama won't be effective against Russia

2 posters

Go down

Why Obama won't be effective against Russia Empty Why Obama won't be effective against Russia

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 am

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/10/russia-tells-op.html

Yet another article. This one is short and sweet, though, unlike others I've posted. It's actually pretty interesting, discussing how OPEC and Russia have control over the cost of oil and how they probably won't work together, which is good news for us. Essentially, if oil costs a lot, the economy will suck more, but if it's cheap, it will suck less. By controlling supply, Russia could raise oil prices quite a bit, if it needs to send the US a message of intimidation and weaken our diplomatic power. Obviously, since foreign adversaries controlling our economic prospects is a bad thing, we have to weaken their grip on us by needing less of their oil.

This readily leads to the debate over offshore drilling, which we can use as an interim solution on our way to the permanent solution of renewables, which won't run out like oil. Both parties support renewables, but only the republicans are supportive of offshore drilling. Without this interim measure of offshore drilling, we will be trying to fund renewables, a long and costly process, while our economy is subject to the grip of Russia and OPEC. (Offshore drilling may take ten years, but finding a way to fuel our cars with renewables for cheap will take much longer). Bottom line, the US can't be effective on the world stage if it can't take care of itself. Even Europe, needing gas and oil from Russia, was hesitant to speak up concerning Georgia, because Russia could give their economies hell.

Obama is all for renewables, but not for offshore drilling, mocking the idea in his speeches. Just how does he think this nation will survive if we pay out the ass to OPEC for 20 years or more before renewables become viable? Surely not by hurting the environment, oh no, we're much too tight-assed and competent to do that. For all of his speeches against special interest, Obama and the dems bend over for environmentalists and co., and put green interests ahead of economic interests. Too much more of this misguided policy, and we won't even have the funds to maintain the most powerful military in the world without borrowing more credit. Obama will probably end up spending money we don't have because a ton goes to OPEC. Is an increase in government spending really a good idea when there's already a huge deficit? Whether or not it is, it's pretty much guaranteed that Obama will put the government in a bigger hole and make sure that we, the gas buyers, always send our money to countries that want to kill all of us.
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why Obama won't be effective against Russia Empty Re: Why Obama won't be effective against Russia

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 am

to answer your question, yes.

at the moment we are in a recession and heavy investment in infrastructure and technologies is exactly what we as a nation need right now. Although we have a deficit, these economic policies are more important in the short run. It was during Bush that we should not have been making an even greater deficit, but its too late to go back.

Now if you are concerned about the military, who says you need to have thousands of men in Iraq etc. We spend over a billion dollars a day in Iraq alone...to put that in retrospect, the disaster (Tsunami) that messed up Indonesia brought 2 billion dollars worth of damage....2 days in Iraq would have paid for it.

The thing that America really needs to focus on is becoming more competitive in foreign markets and in home markets because other nations have better/greener technologies, education systems, and infrastructure than we do. What O Bama wants to do in regards to greening American and improving infrastructure is EXACTLY what we need. Very Happy
Gustavus_Adolfus
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why Obama won't be effective against Russia Empty Well....

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Government investment is a good idea, but I'm not trusting of the democrats to do this responsibly. NJ, as an example, has a terrible tax system, and while we do invest in wind and other green techs, our budget sucks and it's expensive as hell to live here. This election, it's very possible that the democrats will have the white house and a super majority in Congress, giving them near-total control of the federal government. If Obama and the democrats pull anything less than a Bill Clinton on the domestic stage, then they risk damaging their brand as much as Bush damaged the GOP. Unless, of course, they can just blame it on Bush, which is why I'm not so won over by their shallow rhetoric. Btw, the cost of Iraq is $10 billion a month, so about $333 million a day. Just check any Obama speech, it's his favorite statistic, and one of his few.
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why Obama won't be effective against Russia Empty Re: Why Obama won't be effective against Russia

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:50 pm

thanks for the fact check, i was unsure how much we spent in Iraq.

In regards to NJ, our problem is that people are moving out of NJ but keeping their jobs here. Since property tax is higher people move to PA and then keep their jobs right across the Delaware.

In order to counteract that I think we should charge tolls, or higher tolls, for people coming into NJ...not leaving, but coming in. So those people who commute from PA to NJ will still be leaving some of their wealth within our state. And yes, I have considered people from NJ who work in PA/NY....at tolls you can check ID license or with EZ-Pass...check their residence.

Another thing that takes out of our taxes BIG TIME is political careers. The way political pension systems work is you make 2/3 of your salary for the past 3 years....so lets say i work part time as a freeholder and a lawyer. Then 3 years before i retire I become director of something and make 200k a year....i make 2/3 of that 200k even though i was a Part Time worker!!!

Also another problem is people are double dipping into shit. Ex. a lawyer who represents a city makes 50k for that city, but then he goes and represents 4 more....5 cities....250k....plus he gets points for a pension. The political payout system in NJ is stripping our budget of millions of dollars and hopefully will eventually be dealt with.

and that brings me back to this creed of mine: DO NOT ALLOW POLITICAL POSITIONS TO BECOME CAREER PATHS
Gustavus_Adolfus
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:51 am

So, our NJ democrats are essentially taking an unfair share of our tax dollars for themselves, then? Hopefully, voters here can pull together and demand change (that sounds familiar), and the democrats in the federal government better not have the same ethics as NJ dems. If they do, we're gonna have a hell of a time when they (most likely) gain control of the federal government.
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:48 am

Who ever said it was the democrats? All the politicians in NJ in general have been doing this.

On a different note, Corzine would have been able to do a lot more if he was not surrounded by many other politicians who had to deal with special interests....Corzine is so rich he didn't need campaign contributions Smile
Gustavus_Adolfus
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 am

Yeah, good point. They are easy to blame, though, since they're in control. As for Corzine, I suspect his political career is the source of his wealth. Anyway, what do think we voters could do about it? Vote out all incumbents in Trenton?

As a side note, I'm interning for Atlantic County Engineering. I mostly work with their traffic engineer, and he thinks numerous NJ DOT (department of transportation) standards and practices are total crap. Sounds to me like Trenton should just be burned to the ground :-).
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:17 am

haha, Corzine worked for Goldman Sachs and made over 100 million dollars because he was a very good investment banker. This was his 1st political position hes held.

As for other positions...we just need to start seeing normal people run, not politicians....and there is a difference between a politician and a normal American.
Gustavus_Adolfus
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:51 am

Yeah, I keep getting this terrible feeling that no one in Washington or Trenton actually gives a crap about the people they represent, and that they just serve their own interests. I'm more uncertain in my voting now, because I'm curious about what effect a one-party government with a platform about change would have on our government. I'm afraid that we're stuck in a hell of a rut, though, because both of the parties have a lot of money, and normal people won't be seeing office at a high level anytime soon.
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gustavus_Adolfus Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 am

well the thing is...we dont nominate people who would represent us well
Gustavus_Adolfus
Gustavus_Adolfus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down