Political Boneyard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

folding@home

2 posters

Go down

folding@home Empty folding@home

Post  ExoticWhiteMan Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

That title probably makes absolutely no sense, but it's an awesome cause I just stumbled upon. If you remember from a few years ago, it's a program that hundreds of thousands of people run in the background of their computers. Each person lends some of their CPU's processing power to perform calculations about protein folding. These calculations are sent to scientists, who use it to work on proteins, diseases and other medical research. Also, a version of the program was released for the PS3, increasing the program's power by a lot. I haven't used the program yet, but when I get home today I think I'll install it on my laptop and desktop. The site for the program said you can limit how much CPU power the program uses and when the program runs, so it should be easy to customize. Here's the url for the program:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main

I haven't used it yet myself, but I would definitely call it a worthy cause that everyone should participate in. I'll look on facebook later today for a group, since there most likely is one, and invite everyone I know to join and start lending their processing power. Spread the word about this! There are an immense amount of computers out there with large, unused power that could be used for this medical research. Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but these guys aren't in it for money, just for doing medical research and finding breakthroughs.
ExoticWhiteMan
ExoticWhiteMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

folding@home Empty Re: folding@home

Post  Church1ll Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm

We probably could make another topic dubbed "Research and Development" for this.

Definitely an excellent cause.
Church1ll
Church1ll
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum